II: The End of an Era ... well, almost



In April, 2002, on the Tomb Sweeping weekend one year after my trip to Kenting, I accompanied a mismatched group of people on a motorcycle ride.  The plan was to go into and then over the mountains.  You see, the island of Taiwan is largely taken up by a massive mountain range (considered by geologists to be three ranges, though they flow uninterrupted one into the other) that runs from north to south, called Chungyang Shanmai.  For most citizens, getting across this barrier is more comfortably done in a loop around the mountains, either in a car or by train.  The tracks, laid during Japanese rule, encircle the island, running mostly near the coast, or at any rate, on the flat plains, which are very narrow.  There was, however, a cross-island highway that went over the mountains from Taichung to Hualien.  As it approached Hualien, it passed through Toroko Gorge, a spectacular marble canyon in eastern Taiwan.
Four or five of us set out together, starting our slow ascent along curvy route 136 via Toubiankeng.  We then turned onto route 14. 

At this point, however, all of my companions decided to rather go to Sun Moon Lake and forget about the long ride to Hualien.  I decided that I was going over the mountain, even if I had to do it alone.  We separated.  I should mention that I was on a borrowed motorbike – at this point, my own vehicle was a 100cc scooter, which would never have made it up and over.  Flying solo, I passed through the town of Renai at Wan-ta Reservoir.  Then I rode past QingJing Farm and the collection of accommodations modeled to mirror European Alpine villas.  As I scaled higher and higher, the vegetation changed, slowly softening in its textures, relinquishing earthy tones, adopting pastels.  The temperature dropped.  It was hard to believe I was in the same country.  I was so moved by it all and chuffed that I’d not quit like the others, as I revved I sang songs of victory with words such as HERO in them.  



I got to Hehuan Mountain, the highest point along this road.  From here it would be downhill.  And that’s when the trouble started.  Just after starting the descent, a mist rolled in.  I stopped to rest, and then the bike wouldn’t start.  A dazzled panic set in.  I rested some more and then tried the bike again.  Just as I got it started, a Taiwanese couple stopped to ask if I needed help.  They’d in fact passed me earlier and had seen I was in trouble, so they turned and came back.  They let me follow their tail lights all the way through the mist (which also meant that I had no time to enjoy the roadside scenery).  As soon as the fog lifted, they dashed off and left me in their wake.  By now my nerves were shot and I decided it was best to just keep going.  

It must have been just before sundown when I reached Toroko Gorge.  It was magnificent, but there was no energy left today, and I went right through it, stopping at the first accommodation I saw.  There was always tomorrow.  Until I woke the next day.........!  There was something very wrong with the bike.  It had no power and I was unable to get it beyond first gear.  My mate who’d lent it to me had said everything had been checked and there was nothing I needed to do for the ride.  Well, his mechanic had forgotten to refill the oil!!!  All I could do was edge it slowly towards Hualien Train Station, where the vehicle was put on a train back to Taichung.  The deflated rider put himself on a bus to Taipei and then a train to Taichung.  A promising weekend ruined.  But it makes one hell of a story.  I got no pictures of the gorge, and as of 2019, I’ve never gone there again.  One day, perhaps.

Because I was no longer taking notes, I am bound to forget most of what happened, but for Christmas 2002, I decided to meet Kathy and James (yes, of Charterhouse and Southampton).  James' brother William had been living in Tokyo and had gotten married there.  James and Kathy were off to meet him, and they asked me to join.  I took a week off work and flew to Narita Airport, arriving on 21 Dec, 2002.  The flight lasts only 3 hours and 15 minutes, but after including the commute from Taichung, the wait before departure, customs procedures after landing and getting the metro (if that's what it's called) into Tokyo, the journey lasted 16 hours.  Kathy had grown worried..........  What a happy reunion!  I had not planned anything for this trip since we had a host, and I followed Will and the others.  We took in sights around the city and also got a train to a nearby village.  
(click)

I was thoroughly impressed with how clean and organized this country was.  We ate out a lot, each person taking turns to cover the cost.  When it was my turn, they kindly took us to a cheap restaurant, where the prices nevertheless left me breathless.  I asked James to cover it with the promise of wiring the money later.  In the end, James wouldn't take it back.  Thank heavens!  For this one reason, I decided that I would never return to Japan.  In hindsight, that was a silly decision as I was spending time with people of means.  If I'd been there on my own, I'm sure I would have found all the affordable options.  Anyhoo.  One memorable restaurant we dined in had a jail theme.  We were handcuffed upon arrival and led to our cell, which was locked after we had ordered.  If memory serves, the lights also went out for a while, preventing us from taking another bite.  Quirky and fun.  Another meal was taken on a boat as we drifted on a river.  I returned to Taiwan on 27 Dec, 2002.


Shortly after this, in early 2003, long-suffering Louis took a trip to Taiwan, "to come and bring me home" as it were.  (In my account Relatives in Asia, I said that my brother and his family were my first international guests.  This was an oversight, as I'd forgotten about Louis' visit.)  In truth, Louis wanted to see the island and also to be led to some koi farms.  When I had met him two years earlier, he had been working in a pet store.  One of his responsibilities was taking care of clients' koi fish.  He was obsessed with the fish, and he was pretty good with them.  Not only did he care for the fish, but he also built and maintained the ponds.  He soon went out on his own and built a successful business managing ponds throughout the Western Cape.  Perhaps this is why he never joined me.  He was happy to be out in the sun, barefooted and doing physical work.  Perhaps now you understand why I liked him.


We'd stayed in touch throughout my two years away and I was always going to return to him after the East.  Now he was here, like I said, to bring me home.  

We flitted around the island.  We saw some koi ponds, but I'd been unsuccessful in finding companies with whom he could do business.  
(click)

He met all my friends, 
(click)

and we also drove south one day to visit another South African friend of his who had come here after I had, Brenda Barnby.  
(click)

We visited Lukang
(click)

 and Sun Moon Lake.  

I also took him north to the National Palace Museum in Taipei
(click)

and we visited the Lantern Festival, which that year had its main exhibit in Taichung.  
(click)

My Chinese friend Kevin, the gas man, had said he wanted to meet Louis, and so I called him also during Louis’ visit.  However, Kevin ignored my calls.  This slight cut deep.  In hindsight, it’s obvious that he was not truly comfortable with my sexuality and that as long as my other half was at a safe distance, our friendship had worked.  The thought of seeing me touch or kiss in front of him, was clearly a different matter.  Needless to say, that was the end of that friendship.  
When it was time to depart, my final farewell over, 
(click)

we flew to Malaysia where we spent a couple of days.  Since I'd been to Kuala Lumpur, we headed to a beach town whose name I have forgotten, where we got to see a Hindu Thaipusam Festival in full swing.
(click)

Upon arrival back in Gordon's Bay, I moved in with Louis.  Truthfully, though, our relationship had always been built on sand, and within days, he called the whole thing off.  I was taken aback, confused and sad, but I can't say it was a shock.  In truth, we'd "been together" for about 27 months, 24 of which I was abroad.  Best to acknowledge it and move on. 
Thus ends the tale of Malcolm the Fledgling Traveler.  The first travelogue I ever wrote, Primates, fits in immediately after this......... (Within a few short months, I returned to Taiwan.  I bumped into Kevin months later in a supermarket, and he gave me his phone number.  Those digits were never dialled.)